I had another idea to raise funds for my Weekend to End Breast Cancer walk. I read somewhere that doing a garage sale could be quite profitable. Drawing from my idea of having auctions on my blog of donated items, I decided to try to gather up donated items to sell at my garage sale. I posted ads on Craigslist, and took flyers out to the entire neighbourhood asking for donations of unwanted stuff. My garage is filling up rather quickly, mostly from folks who have seen my craisglist postings! In fact, I’m a little worried about how much time it’s going to take me to sort through everything and price it all for the sale.
I’ve been toying of the idea of having it be entirely ‘by donation’, that is; not putting specific prices on items. It would be so much easier for me, but I’m worried about getting enough back in donations to make it all worth doing. Any suggestions on how to make the pricing easier? I just have no idea what prices to put on things. Here are some ideas I found while doing research on how to have a successful sale:
1) Putting out small lunch bags near boxes of small items and selling “bagfuls” for a set price. Something like “all you can fit into a bag for $5.00 minimum donation”
Perhaps with clothing I’ll do the same thing with larger plastic grocery bags.
2) Leaving out a large, clear donations bottle for cash donations.
3) Making clear signs stating where the proceeds are going and that it is all for charity.
4) Making Pink Awareness-Ribbon Cookies and offering a free cookie for every purchase over a certain amount. Also selling the cookies
5) Selling PINK helium balloons
Any other ideas??